Thursday 10 June 2010

"Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange..."

This bleak and light and rainy and weird weather we've been having of late really evokes Lynchian thoughts and feelings... I'm an enormous fan of David Lynch - Wild at Heart is one of my favourite films of all time - and a variety of factors have got me thinking about his genius recently. I watched the entire series of Twin Peaks earlier in the year and it was absolutely epic... the cinematography, performances, soundtrack, semiotics, location... it really couldn't have been more perfect. It also successfully scared the hell out of me; Lynch really creates exquisite horror.

I "happened" upon the Wikipedia entry for Twin Peaks whilst looking at prices for box-sets (horror and darkness seems an ideal wedding gift, non?) and discovered the location of the waterfalls in the opening credits: Snoqualmie Falls are located between Snoqualmie and Fall City in Washington, USA. They're absolutely gorgeous and whilst looking at the pics, I found this glorious shot:

How wonderful is this? It's so wonderfully sinister and the men in their late 19th century garb are priceless. I want it blown up and framed on my bedroom wall.

2 comments:

Holly said...

I've just finished reading the Dykes to Watch Out For anthology! It was absolutely amazing, I read a lot of comics but this is definitely going in the favourites pile.

Kathryn said...

Interesting photo. When I first looked at it on my much minimised browser window at work, I thought the white of the waterfalls was a woman's face!